This Taco Bake recipe from The Country Cook is perfect for college students. It contains ingredients that most students are very likely to have on hand at all times. It takes very little time to prepare and cook, and it saves well–many reviewers raved that the leftovers tasted just as good as the original product.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- water as called for on back of seasoning packet
- 3 large flour tortillas (8-inch size)
- 1/2 cup Salsa Con Queso
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Brown and crumble ground beef.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add in taco seasoning and water (following directions on back of seasoning packet).
- Once the taco meat is ready, turn off heat and add in 1/2 cup salsa con queso. (Mild is the best option–the dish is already somewhat spicy)
- Give it a good stir, until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch round baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with a flour tortilla.
- Now add about 1/3 of the ground beef taco filling on the the first layer.
- Then add 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Continue until you are done with all the layers: another tortilla, more taco mixture, more cheese.
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and edges are slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then slice and serve.
The Country Cook recommends topping the dish with sour cream and diced tomatoes.
Reviewers generally raved about the recipe:
I tried a variation of this recipe for dinner on Sunday night. I chose to cut the recipe in half, and only do two layers, as opposed to three. It was super easy to make, and was delicious! The leftovers saved well, and still tasted great the next day–not as good as they tasted fresh out of the oven, but definitely still delicious. I didn’t have a circular pan, so I was unable to layer the topping as close to the edge as the original recipe shows. Here’s a picture of my attempt–sorry its a little blurry!